Mon - Sat 10:30 am to 5:30 pm
Quick Facts :
  • Our Objectives - Provide direct, honest answers and follow up for success of every application.
  • Our Specialisation - Expert advise - specific to each application for all type of visas under General Skilled Visa, Investment visa to USA under EB5 & Canadian Investment visa.
  • Our Service - Efficient and Cost Effective Service in all areas relating to migration matters and visa services.
  • Our Success - Processed many applications with high success rate.
  • Our Legacy - 25 years of Professional Immigration experience with proven track record.
Enquiry +

Immigration Enquiry

Canada Federal Skilled Trades Program

The Federal Skilled Trades program Canada is one of the three Federal programs applied through Canada Express Entry, which is an online application.

This program allows skilled workers with experience in a selected number of trades to gain legal permanent residence in Canada based on the applicant's qualification in the skilled trade.

The eligibility requirements for an applicant to apply for the Federal Skilled Trades program must meet the following eligibility requirements:

The applicant should have gained at least 24 months of skilled work experience in the skilled trade in Canada gained in the last 5 years allowing the applicant to lodge an application under Federal Skilled Trades program. It is also important that the applicant should have gained this work experience under a valid work permit visa 

The applicant's work experience should meet the specific job requirements of the trade, as set out in Canada's National Occupation List 

Also the applicant should meet the following to be eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Program (Canada Express Entry):




  • To be eligible under the program the applicant must meet the required language levels for each language ability.
    • Listening
    • Reading
    • Writing
    • Speaking


  • Should have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply.


  • Should meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification, except for needing a certificate of qualification.


  • Should have one of the following:
    • valid job offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or
    • certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.



The Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers


The major NOC groups are further subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.

An applicant must show that they perform the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC.

The applicant's duties also should include all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

If the applicant does not show that the work experience meets the description in the NOC, the application will be refused.

The applicant's work experience only counts after they qualify to independently practice the occupation.



The applicant does not need any education requirement towards lodging under the Federal Skilled Trades Program. If the applicant wants to improve the ranking in the Canada Express Entry pool, there are 2 ways for the applicant to improve:

Should have taken a course and studied in Canada, the applicant will then obtain extra points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian institution:

  • secondary institution (high school) or
  • post-secondary institution


The applicant should have had an education, and for which he will be provided the required points for a completed educational credential, if the degree is been assessed and approved an Educational Credential Assessment  Canada(ECA) body which is required for immigration purposes from a designated organization showing the applicant's education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:

  • secondary institution (high school) or
  • post-secondary institution



The applicant should meet the minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for speaking and listening, and Canadian Language Benchmark 4 for reading and writing.

The applicant should have completed the test in 4 modules such as:

  • Listening
  • Reading
  • Writing
  • Speaking

The test results should have the required scores on the above which are required for the Express Entry profile when lodge ap application.

The language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result is completed. The language test results must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence is lodged with the Immigration department.



The applicant must show that the application has enough money for himself and his family settle in Canada.

  • Unless if the applicant is currently able to legally work in Canada and
  • The applicant has a valid job offer from an employer in Canada



Also, it is important that the applicant must be admissible to Canada and should meet all the requirements.

The Immigration department can refuse your application or deny your entry into Canada on various reasons such as should not have any adverse remark, security, or criminal or medical reasons.



An applicant should look at living outside the province of Quebec. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information.

Its important that an applicant must look at meeting the requirement if he has obtained a Provincial Nominee, and must settle in the province or territory that nominated you.



The applicant should be in a position to go to the province or territory to be assessed for their trade. The applicant may also need an employer in Canada to give you the required experience and training to start working.

Each province requirement is different based on the profile of the applicant as trades for the province/territory for an applicant differs from where the applicant and his family members decide to live and work.

To look at different provinces and territory, once can be visit the following link to learn more about certificates of qualification to work in that province or territory in a specific skilled trade, and what the applicant need to meet the requirements.


If the applicant's trade is not regulated by a province or territory, it may be federally regulated (for example, airplane mechanic). It is important to find out who regulates your trade by visiting the website of the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials.

It is also important that an applicant while migrating to Canada under the Canadian Federal Skilled Trades Program, should have a confirmed employment offer or, particularly should be already in Canada on a temporary basis towards obtaining a certificate of qualification in the relevant skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial authority.

The provincial / territorial authorities are not set up to issue certificates of qualification to individuals outside Canada.

There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and if an applicant wishes to earn points for the education under Express Entry, the applicant should either need:

  • An academic credential from a Canadian educational institution; or
  • An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) provided by an organization designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to provide an ECA.


If you are interested in Canada immigration, please fill out the Assessment form which is found in our website and our immigration Consultants will assess your eligibility and advise you how to proceed further.

We work with Member of Law Society of Upper Canada and Canadian Bar Association (Immigration section) (CPTLS). We also deal with member of organization of Professional Immigration Consultants, Canada (OPIC) and strive to achieve the highest possible standards of professional service and success rate on every application that we lodge with the Immigration department.

Kindly forward us your detailed resume to for us to assess and advise on your eligibility, or Call our office on+91 44 2822 7222 / 2823 9229 / 4350 8191 for consultation or an appointment.


© 2023 Bilimoria & Associate. All rights reserved Web Solutions by

Back to Top